In general term, hiking refers to walking outdoors on a trail, or off trail, for recreational purposes.The idea of undertaking a walk through the countryside for pleasure developed in the 18th-century, and arose because of changing attitudes to the landscape and nature, associated with the Romantic movement. In earlier times walking generally indicated poverty and was also associated with vagrancy.
Hiking is one of those activities that absolutely cannot be overestimated when it comes to weight loss. There are few forms of exercise that will help you lose weight as easily as hiking, and it will almost guarantee that you will get in shape.
One of the reasons that hiking is such a great activity is that it’s fun to do. Working out in the gym is so boring for so many people, but the fact that you can taste the fresh forest or mountain air as you hike makes it a real pleasure. You can lose yourself in the beauty around you, and you’ll almost forget that you’re getting exercise.
Not surprisingly, you can burn up to 500 calories per hour hiking, though you’ll have to walk pretty fast. Walking at a rate of 4.5 miles per hour will burn 500 calories, while walking at 2.5 miles per hour burn around 250 calories. No matter how fast you walk, you’ll be burning away those pounds while you explore the marvels of nature around you.
1. Hiking releases the adrenaline built up in your body from a stressful work week, reducing stress and anxiety.
2. Doing any form of exercise will reduce your risk of hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease drastically.
3. Walking can increase the density of your bones, effectively reversing the effects of osteoporosis.
4. Those that are active for more than 7 hours a week have a 40 percent lower risk of dying early than someone active for just 30 minutes per week.
5. Hiking has been proven to improve sleep at night.
6. Walking and hiking will keep your cardiorespiratory system healthy, and will give your muscles more endurance.
Hiking is one of my favourite forms of exercise, and you’ll find that it will be one of the best ways for you to get in shape the fun, natural, and easy way! I lost more than 20 pounds (10 Kg) in less than 3 months committing myself to hike at least 10,000 steps a day.
Below is a list of my daily activities using Fitbit Flex: